[Ads-l] Request for help with new OED format

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sat Jul 29 20:35:03 UTC 2023

I tried your way and got the same result.

Then I typed 'shyster' in the search box and
clicked on the blue highlighted 'Shyster' entry, not
the 'Advanced Search' button.
Then you will get the tabs, which include the
'Etymology'
button.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
https://clasprofiles.wayne.edu/profile/an6993

geoffnathan at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at MST.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2023 4:13:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Request for help with new OED format

[EXTERNAL]

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at MST.EDU>

Hi all,

Would someone out there be able to help me with one very specific
thing I'm trying to do with the new OED format.

I am trying to find out how to access the etymology
of a term, and as a sample term I have chosen the word shyster (which I onc=
researched).
So, I typed in SHYSTER.
Then I clicked ADVANCED SEARCH
Then I clicked ETYMOLOGY

But instead of getting the etymology of the word, I get two related
terms (1926 shysterism;  1860 shystering).

If instead I just click on the term shyster and then click on ETYMOLOGY, I =
get
questions about wanting a personal or institutional subscription, but I
have accessed the new OED through my institution.

 This is frustrating.  What am I doing wrong?
Any guidance would be much appreciated.
(Btw, listening to the OED instructions did not help)

Gerald Cohen