[Ads-l] Possessive plurals

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 1 14:36:15 UTC 2023

Another factor may be double inflection, as when the past tense of “sleepwalk” is rendered as “sleptwalked” or when the plural of “housewife” is pronounced “houzwivez” /hauzwaivz/, although I concede that “you guys” is not a compound like those two (or “res publica”, to hark back a ways) but a phrase.

LH