[Ads-l] Word: agentic (particularly applied to machine intelligence)

Thu Jun 1 16:17:21 UTC 2023

Researchers at NVIDIA, Caltech, UT Austin, Stanford, and Arizona State
University recently released a paper titled "Voyager: An Open-Ended
Embodied Agent with Large Language Models":

https://voyager.minedojo.org/

The paper described an AI system that plays the computer game
Minecraft while employing an LLM (large language model). Minecraft has
a "technology tree" which must be uncovered and exploited to make
progress in the game.

A newsletter called "The Memo" tracks developments in artificial
intelligence. The word "agentic" was used while discussing this paper
about Minecraft. (The word "agentic" does not appear in the research
paper itself.)

Date: May 29, 2023
Newsletter: The Memo - 30/May/2023
Author: Alan D. Thompson
https://lifearchitect.substack.com/p/the-memo-30may2023

[Begin excerpt]
This may look like just a silly game, but think further out… LLMs
becoming agentic (the ability to act on their own: having goals,
reasoning, and monitoring their own behaviour) is the equivalent of
humans having created new life. And this new life is already
optimizing skill development, and 'lifelong learning' within an
environment.

It may be that this discovery is a big milestone in our history.
Expect the next iteration of this concept to drive real use cases
impacting our physical world—and all our lives.
[End excerpt]

Wiktionary has an entry for "agentic". Below are the two most
pertinent senses, but none of the quotations are applied to machine
intelligence. The first quotation is dated 1985.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/agentic

[Begin excerpt]
Adjective
agentic
1. That behaves like an agent: able to express or expressing agency or
control on one's own behalf or on the behalf of another.
. . .
4. (psychology) Having agency; able to make independent decisions in
pursuit of a goal.
[End excerpt]

Here is a 2010 instance of "agentic" applied to robot-like behavior.