[Ads-l] Antedating "mammoth" (big) - 1801 (was "big cheese" 1815)

Thu Jun 1 17:38:28 UTC 2023

Great work, Peter. Another researcher clipped the same text from a
newspaper published a bit earlier. Thus, investigators are interested
in this adjective.

Date: May 11, 1801
Newspaper: Hartford Courant
Newspaper Location: Hartford, Connecticut
Quote Page 3

https://www.newspapers.com/article/hartford-courant-first-mammoth-adjective/29042813/

[Begin excerpt]
Trenton, April 28.
On Thursday last was brought to this place the famous MAMMOTH OX, bred
by John Humphries of Hopewell, in this county.
[End excerpt]

Garson