[Ads-l] gooch grease

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sun Jun 4 05:24:51 UTC 2023

The 'ginch' and 'gonch', etc., all appear in _The Dictionary of
Canadianisms on Historical Principles 2_, under 'gotchies':

http://apps.plotandscatter.com:8080/dchp2/Entries/view/gotchies

But there is no mention there of 'gooch grease', which as Lighter
suggests might be an alteration of 'goose grease', perhaps influenced by
(1) the baby-talk 'goochie goo' and (2) historical use of goose (bear,
etc.) grease to minimize chafing in wet clothes.

--
James Eric Lawson