[Ads-l] Fat Weddings

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 4 16:43:11 UTC 2023

For as long as I can remember, "big, fat" has been a modifier for almost
anything large, excessive, extravagant. etc., stronger than the synonymous
"great big."

When Al Franken wrote "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" in 1996, it didn't
even occur to me that he might be alluding to RL's weight (and I don't
think he was).

"Big fat lie" is a common collocation.

1844 Evening Transcript (Boston) (Aug. 29) 2: The Wheeling Times thinks
that a strait [sic] forward liar, one that will tell a big, fat, plump lie,
is an honest man.

1872 Little Rock Daily Republican (Nov. 5) 2: It invents a lie, a big fat
lie, and puts it out.  {The absence of the comma suggests that "big fat"
was already regarded as a unitary phrase.]

Its appearance in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is humorous. The weddings are
just big.

 JL