[Ads-l] Antedating of "Weapon of Mass Destruction"

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 5 00:34:11 UTC 2023

I don't think I would count this.  The general definition (and the OED one) of WMD is that class of weapons, specifically including atomic/nuclear, biological, and  chemical weapons, that indiscriminately target masses of people.  It looks to me, from context, that the cite below only refers to armaments in general.  I think that some WW2 uses of the phrase include mass aerial bombardment, but the modern usage does not.

(It's not clear that the OED's 1937 cite should be included, either.)