[Ads-l] Personal pronouns modified with relative clauses

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 5 22:09:40 UTC 2023

My recollection is that one of the reasons some people doubt that Japanese “pronouns” are actually pronouns is that they can take relative clauses, and that in languages like English, they cannot. To invent an example in both languages:

スーパにいた僕を見た。(suupa-ni ita boku-wo mita)
* (somebody) saw me who was in the grocery store.

Today I saw an article in which former President Donald Trump violates this rule. Here is that article and another quote. Is this idiolect or dialect?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-asks-can-doj-charge-lawyers-meet-feds-rcna87770
Dareh Gregorian
###
"How can DOJ possibly charge me, who did nothing wrong, when no other president's were charged," Trump wrote on Truth Social in an all-caps post.
###

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/politics/donald-trump-press-conference-analysis/index.html
Chris Cillizza
###
“I’ve been accused … by four or five women, who got paid a lot of money to make up stories about me who made a lot of money,” Trump said.
###

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA