[Ads-l] Adage Origin: You Are Either Part of the Problem or Part of the Solution

Tue Jun 13 23:33:58 UTC 2023

On twitter Simon Koppel told me about an advertisement in the
"Columbia Daily Spectator" of New York for a sermon by Harry Emerson
Fosdick that appeared slightly earlier than the first citation in the
QI article. The QI article has been updated and Koppel is
acknowledged:

https://quoteinvestigator.medium.com/b7f7d101197

[ref] 1936 October 16, Columbia Daily Spectator, Volume LX, Number 17,
Section: Religious Announcements, Advertisement: The Riverside Church
at Riverside Drive and 122nd Street, Quote Page 2, Column 4, New York.
(Columbia Spectator Archive; accessed on June 13, 2023;
website:spectatorarchive.library.columbia.edu) link [/ref]

https://spectatorarchive.library.columbia.edu/?a=d&d=cs19361016-01&

[Begin excerpt]
The Riverside Church
Riverside Drive and 122nd Street

11 A. M. Morning Worship
Harry Emerson Fosdick
“ARE WE PART OF THE PROBLEM OR THE ANSWER?
[End excerpt]

I found that Fosdick's sermon was broadcast on the radio which
probably aided the dissemination of this family of sayings. The
following citation mentioned a broadcast on radio station WJZ in
Meriden, Connecticut:

[ref] 1936 November 21, The Meriden Daily Journal, Journal Radio
Programs, Tomorrow P.M., Time: 4:00, Radio Station: WJZ, Quote Page 7,
Column 2, Meriden, Connecticut. (Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
WJZ-Are We Part of the Problem or of the Answer?
—Harry Emerson Fosdick.
[End excerpt]

Garson