[Ads-l] to flex

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sun Jun 18 16:46:42 UTC 2023

Merriam-Webster online, intransitive verb 2b: "to make an
ostentatious display of something : show off". I don't agree with
either definition; 'pretentious' seems closer to the mark than
"ostentatious".

I hope I'm not the only one who finds MW's "Kids Definition"
category (in this case the aggressively over-simplified "flex verb
ˈfleks 1 : to bend especially over and over 2 a : to move muscles
so as to cause flexion of b : to move or tense (a muscle) by
contraction") not only annoying but disturbing. Maybe they're
flexing their censorious 'conservative parent' chops?

That the "Kids Definition" category exists is annoying; what they
include in it is disturbing. Surely it's self-evident the children are
better able to comprehend a detailed and exact definition than the
adults? I suppose the adults in the (MW-Britannica) room want to
perpetuate the failures of education they continue to suffer but profit
from.

--
James Eric Lawson