[Ads-l] baseball lingo: to shove (intr)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 19 20:13:28 UTC 2023

Weird--both the term and the fact that it has somehow escaped me for a long
enough period of time that it goes back to when Matt "The Dark Knight"
Harvey was actually pitching well for the Mets.  I'm familiar with the
poker term: while "shove" is intransitive in that use too, it's clearly
derived from an unspecified object transitive--shoving all one's
chips/money into the pot.  Can't see how that relates to the baseball use.

LH