[Ads-l] "clawbacked"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Tue Jun 20 14:02:21 UTC 2023

On 6/20/23 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:33:25 +0000
> From:    Peter Reitan<pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Re: "clawbacked"
>
> As I understand it, a “clawback” is a procedure in which money paid by the employer into an employee’s retirement fund is clawed back from the employee in certain circumstances, before the money is fully vested.
>
> When an employee’s money has been “clawed back” from his account, the employee has been “clawbacked,” that is, the employee has been subjected to the clawback procedure.
>
> “Clawbacked” would seem strange to me if applied to the money, but seems to obey the internal logic of the meaning of “clawback,” where the noun relating to the procedure is used as a verb to describe a person being subjected to the procedure.

Thanks, Peter, for an alternative analysis: I hadn't thought of the noun
being the underlying form of the base+ed form. So, what may be going on
is not the typical challenge of where to put the suffix on a
prepositional verb, but rather there being 2 different verb forms: the
prepositional verb and then the verb formed from the noun . . . ? Hmmm .
. .

---Amy West