[Ads-l] Possessive plurals

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 25 23:30:56 UTC 2023

FWIW “Your guys’s way” is the form I use. “You guys’s” sounds ungrammatical regardless of how it may be parsed with logic. I distinctly recall pondering this some months ago when writing an email and decided that “your guys’s” is the only form that sounds grammatical to me.

Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/you_guys) calls my usage "nonstandard, limited to colloquial or dialectal speech.”

Napoleon Dynamite is therefore also nonstandard and according to “The Cut,” Ben Pagoda has found a citation from 2002, the earliest instance of this nonstandard usage (https://www.thecut.com/2016/11/your-guys-is-american-english-at-it-roughspun-best.html).

There are opinions both ways on the English Stack Exchange (https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/12277/what-is-the-possessive-of-you-guys).

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA