[Ads-l] WeHo

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 27 12:58:34 UTC 2023

> On Jun 27, 2023, at 8:51 AM, Mark Mandel <markamandel at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> And, I presume, SoHo? But EHo doesn't sound nearly so neat... if those
> exist at all.
>
> Mark Mandel

I’ve always assumed that New York’s SoHo (= ’South of Houston St.’) was named as a kind of tribute to/pun on London’s renowned funky neighborhood, Soho (not an acronymic clipping), and that NoHo and the others in the pattern were named after SoHo, whence also TriBeCa, DUMBO, and all the others.  The L.A. ones definitely came after the NYC ones.

It’s a useful naming pattern, although somewhat tainted by Gestapo, Comintern, and their ilk.

LH