[Ads-l] Antedating of "cubby-hole"

Steven Losie stevenlosie at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 7 03:12:10 UTC 2023

cubby-hole (OED, 1842)
Definition (b): "a very small and confined room or closet"

The term dates to at least 1824. It is used in a newspaper article
recalling the small attic room ("garret") hideout of Gen. Isaac Worrel and
an unnamed colonel of the Continental Army during the American Revolution
and Britain's occupation of Philadelphia in 1777-78:

1.
[quote]
...I must call the recollection, or examination of my fellow citizens to an
unobtrusive mansion that has it front on Walnut street, nearly midway
between 3d and 4th street; a reposing place for the aged and impoverished
of the society of Friends. Over a small avenue, on the western side of the
enclosure, is thrown an arch— over this arch is what is called a
_cubby-hole_, being an unfrequented garret. Thither was Gen. Worrel & the
Colonel conducted and there they remained daily supplied with food, until
the British left Philadelphia. After Lord Howe evacuated this city, the
General and Colonel had liberty to come down from their involuntary
elevation.[end quote]

Source: American Sentinel (Middletown, Connecticut)
Date: February 18, 1824
Page: 1
Column: 5
Database: America's Historical Newspapers (Readex/Newsbank)

The above article was reprinted from a newspaper called the "[illegible]
Gazette". Possible candidates include one of the various "United States
Gazette"s published out of Philadelphia (though the most famous of that
title had been renamed by 1824), or the Aurora and Franklin Gazette, also
out of Philadelphia. There were also various other "Gazette"s in New
England and the Mid-Atlantic states that the Connecticut newspaper could
have taken it from.

Other antedatings:

2.
[quote]
Having fretted yourself into a bad humor by sundry vain endeavors to elicit
a few puffs from that, you throw it into the fire, and go to bed in a small
cubby hole, just under the roof which is left partly open, to give the
weary traveller an opportunity of studying astronomy, while a parcel of
half drunken vagabonds are singing 'Paul Jones' in the bar room below.
[end quote]

Source: Scioto Gazette (Chillicothe, Ohio)
Article: COMPLAINTS OF A TRAVELLER. Extract of a letter to a gentleman in
the city of Detroit, Michigan Territory, dated[] NEWARK Ohio, January 10.