[Ads-l] GRUNT

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 13 15:19:01 UTC 2023

Another pseudo-acronym:

2008 Tyler E. Boudreau _Packing Inferno_ (Port Townsend, Wash.: Feral
House) 17: At the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, I used to remind every
recruit I trained of the acronym GRUNT. Now it's a term of endearment for
an infantryman. It's a title of distinction. But it wasn't always. It once
stood for "Ground Replacements, UNTrained." That was in WWII....The GRUNTS
were bundles of bodies that had received just enough training to obey
orders.

Boudreau joined the Marines in the early '90s.

JL