[Ads-l] Chat GPT on "gray" versus "grey"

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Mar 24 04:52:06 UTC 2023

Actually, Webster used “grey” in The American Spelling Book, at least through 1822, the last printing I see on Google Books. It seems that only after the title was changed to The Elementary Spelling Book (in 1829, according to Wikipedia, although the earliest printing I see on Google Books is from 1832) did he start to use “gray.” In neither version did he discuss his reasoning for that particular choice.

John Baker