[Ads-l] Earliest Known Occurrence of Etymythology of "Posh"

Sun May 7 01:40:39 UTC 2023

Excellent citation, Fred. Below are additional details for other list
members. The British Newspaper Archive database specifies the
newspaper name "Daily News", but the front page identifies the
newspaper as "News Chronicle".

Date: August 5, 1932
Newspaper: News Chronicle
Newspaper Location: London, England
Article: The Diary of A Man About Town
Author: Quex
Quote Page 6, Column 4
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt - double check for typos]
What "Posh" Means

I used the word "posh" in the sense of "select," "swagger," "up to the nines."

Dr. B. W. Ginsberg, the barrister, who is off next month on a visit to
India, told me yesterday that "posh" was coined by P. and O.
travellers. Going out the cabins on the port side afford the best
shelter from the sun. On the homeward-bound ships the starboard cabins
are the most sought.

Hence "Port Out, Starboard Home."
Hence "posh."
[End excerpt]

Here is another match in August 1932. The text seems to be derived
from the citation above.