[Ads-l] "x-gallon hat" antedated

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 8 15:53:29 UTC 2023

“nine gallon hat” 1866.

In a story about a meteor shower watch party.  The hat is not described, but the “man of the gong” was an attorney.  Takes place in Pennsylvania.

[Begin excerpt]Four o’clock found all quiet, the man of the gong beneath a nine-gallon hat, guarding a butcher shop on Pitt St., and thus ended the falling of the meteors in Bedford, in 1866.[end excerpt]

Bedford Gazette (Indiana), November 23, 1866, page 3.  ChroniclingAmerica (Library of Congress).

From: ADSGarson O'Toole<mailto:adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2023 11:40 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: "x-gallon hat" antedated

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

Excellent work, Peter. Here are some earlier instances of "two gallon
hat" in 1871 and 1876.

Date: June 10, 1871
Newspaper: Weekly American Workman
Newspaper Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Article Title: Correspondence
Correspondence To: Editor
Correspondence From: A Seer
Date of Correspondence: June 5, 1871
Location of Correspondence: New York
Quote Page 4, Column 3
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt - double-check for typos]
. . . I want to introduce you to an old familiar face, on which
perhaps you have not looked for many years. This is Henry Smith, the
original "Razor Strop man," whom nearly every grown-up man or woman
has seen at some period of his or her life, at muster, cattle show, or
camp meeting . . .

Mr. Smith wears a white two gallon hat, which, "when removed,
discloses the fact that his very thin, white hair is parted in the
middle=E2=80=94quite wide; he wears No. 12 brogans, which he has made for h=
im
at Natick; unlike, Mr. Greeley, he uses neither alchoholic liquors,
tobacco, or bad language; he is a Republican in politics, although
opposed to the re-election of Grant; he uses no perfumery on his
handkerchief, and seldom carries one.
[End excerpt]

Here is an instance of =E2=80=9Ctwo-gallon hat=E2=80=9D in 1876. An anecdot=
e described
a =E2=80=9CHillsdale theological student=E2=80=9D who was visiting a wealth=
y woman
hoping to obtain a large donation. He =E2=80=9Chired a livery rig for $4.50
and drove 8 miles through the mud=E2=80=9D to the benefactress, but after t=
he
visit ended the donation received was 25 cents.