[Ads-l] "big cheese" 1815

Mon May 29 14:37:25 UTC 2023

Interesting topic, Stanton. As Ben mentions, the OED presents an 1899
citation for "the main cheese". Here is an 1897 citation employing
non-standard spelling:

Date: January 11, 1897
Newspaper: The St. Joseph Daily News
Newspaper Location: St. Joseph, Missouri
Article: Tales of the Town
Quote Page 4, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/image/558924389/?terms=%22main%20cheese%22&match=1

[Begin excerpt]
How's a feller to eat two hashes when he ain't got dough enough fur
one? I goes into a hotel de udder day an' tells de main cheese dat
I'se a race horse owner, and den I eats till I'se blue in de face.
[End excerpt]

Garson