[Ads-l] "big cheese" 1815

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 29 19:51:46 UTC 2023

FWIW, big cheeses were sometimes a big deal.

1802 The Wasp (Hudson, N.Y.) (July 31) 2: The following Toast, drank [sic]
by the Cheshire folks, who made the big Cheese [sic] for Mr.
Jefferson....May the splendour of the Republican SUN continue to eclipse
the twinklings of the Western Lightning Bug.

1828 Poulson's American Daily Advertiser (Phila.) (Nov. 14, 1828) 3: "A BIG
CHEESE. The Berkshire American states that Mr. Israel Cole, of North Adams,
has made a "hundred pound cheese to be presented to Jackson in case he was
elected President."

1885 Buffalo [N.Y.] Evening News (Nov. 7) 4: "FREE SHOW!" The Two Big
Cheese [sic] CITY OF BUFFALO, 3398 lbs.,  VILLAGE OF AURORA 3394 lbs., Are
now on exhibition at our store.

JL