[Ads-l] "big cheese" 1815

Mon May 29 21:48:18 UTC 2023

Thanks for your comments and citations, Steven and JL. Apologies for
not looking in the wonderful Green's Dictionary of Slang database.
Here are links to the full article and details for the 1885 citation
listed in GDoS.

Date: September 5, 1885
Newspaper: The Observer and Free Lance
Newspaper location: Auckland, New Zealand
Article: KATIKATI KALLS
Quote Page 4, Column 2

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TO18850905.2.7.11
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/observer/1885/09/05/4

[Begin excerpt]
What attraction is there for Ken. at the manager's? Is it to see that
big cheese?

Archibald, standing on a beer cask, is backed by Mac at the rate of 5
to 1 against all comers for stowing away 'long-sleevers.'
[End excerpt]
Garson