[Ads-l] Possessive plurals

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 31 16:02:18 UTC 2023

I've been watching these Latin lessons on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUlrL6E_QU

The instructor (a native speaker of English evidently, and
youthful-sounding)  is clearly well educated, and he knows Latin.

However, he says "abLAYtive" instead of "ABlative." He also talks about
"female," "male," and "neutral" nouns instead of masculine, feminine, and
neuter. More to the point, though, he routinely pronounces English
possessive plurals with an excrescent "iz."

Exx: students' > "studentsiz"
        soldiers'   > "soldierziz."

Is this something we should be doing? Or is it just a pedagogical stratagem?

JL