[Ads-l] Public Speaking Advice: Be sincere. Be brief. Be seated. (Attributed to Franklin D. Roosevelt)

Mon Oct 2 01:59:58 UTC 2023

I received a request to explore the saying in the subject line.

The earliest match I found appeared in 1935 when U.S. actor Richard
'Skeets' Gallagher used an instance after a stage performance:

[ref] 1935 February 16, Journal-Every Evening, Movie Stars Back To
Stage by W. P. F., Quote Page 19, Column 1, Wilmington, Delaware.
(Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Gallagher said his mother had often told him, "When you are called
upon to make a speech, always be brief, sincere and be seated."
[End excerpt]

The first evidence of a linkage to F.D.R. I encountered appeared in
1940. James Roosevelt credited his father with the advice:

[ref] 1940 January 13, The Washington Post, My Friends, Quote Page 8,
Column 2 and 3, Washington, D.C. (ProQuest) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
The other day James Roosevelt opened a talk he made at Hollywood by
saying: "My father gave me these hints on speechmaking. Be sincere ...
be brief ... be seated."
[End excerpt]

An entertaining thematic precursor appeared in 1880.

[ref] 1880 June 19, The Weekly New Era, Commencement: Franklin and
Marshall College, Quote Page 5, Column 3, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
(Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
After keeping the guests in merriment for fully half an hour, the
Doctor closed with advice to young men as to the best method of
becoming successful public speakers--"Stand up, speak up and then shut
up."
[End excerpt

Here are links to the Quote Investigator article:
Abbreviated: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2023/10/01/be-brief/
Full: https://quoteinvestigator.medium.com/f0a85ca10967

Feedback welcome
Garson O’Toole