[Ads-l] understate = 'overstate'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 7 00:57:12 UTC 2023

Not so much “understate” = ‘overstate’ but arguably a blend along the lines of “cannot understate” = 'should not understate' + 'cannot overstate’.  Language Log has many blog entries devoted to both “undernegation” and “overnegation” including the notorious “No head injury is too trivial to ignore”. Many of the problematic negatives involve modal “can(not)”, and this is part of that family.  (“Could care less” is an undernegative cousin.)

LH