[Ads-l] Quote: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. Request help accessing Harvard Alumni Bulletin in 1963

Wed Oct 11 16:59:55 UTC 2023

Back on September 23, 2023 I requested help to access a periodical,
and Dave Wilton kindly responded. Now the Quote Investigator article
about the quotation in the subject line has been updated.

Details about the citation in the Harvard Alumni Bulletin are
available in the QI article.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/04/time-flies-arrow/

[Begin acknowledgements]
Many thanks to David Wilton and the Firestone Library of Princeton
University for providing scans of the crucial 1963 article in the
"Harvard Alumni Bulletin". Also, thanks to Bill Mullins for pointing
to "Fortune" magazine. Additional thanks to Ben Zimmer who pointed to
the "AFIPS" citation and other citations. Further thanks to mailing
list discussants John Baker, Barbara Need, Arnold Zwicky, Barry Popik,
Douglas Wilson, Ron Butters, Joel S. Berson. Laurence Horn, Victor
Steinbok, Margaret Lee, Damien Hall,  David Daniel, Fred Shapiro, Seán
Fitzpatrick. Lastly, thanks to the volunteer editors of Wikipedia who
pointed to the "Boys' Life" citation.
[End acknowledgements]

Below are some precursor citations.

In 1690 the simile about time appeared in a religious book titled "The
Pleasure of the Mind; Or, the Foretast of Happiness":

[ref] 1690, The Pleasure of the Mind; Or, the Foretast of Happiness.
Section: To Show the Dextrious Excellency of our Religion, Christian,
upon St. John, Chap. 8. Ver. 34, Start Page 233, Quote Page 236,
Printed, Sold by Randal Taylor, near Stationers-Hall, London. (Google
Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=sYVnAAAAcAAJ&q=+%22time+flies%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
... for the time flies away as swift as a Bird of the Air, or as an
Arrow out of a Bow.
[End excerpt]

In 1816 the precise expression "Time flies like an arrow" appeared in
"The Infidel's Text-Book, Being the Substance of Thirteen Lectures on
the Bible" by Robert Cooper who described the following statement as a
Chinese proverb:

[ref] 1816, The Infidel's Text-Book, Being the Substance of Thirteen
Lectures on the Bible by Robert Cooper, Lecture 13: Morality Without
the Bible, Quote Page 192, Printed by R. Johnson, Hull, England.
(Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=yOpUAAAAcAAJ&q=%22time+flies%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
"Time flies like an arrow; days and months like a weaver's shuttle."
[End excerpt]

The phrase "time flies" is ambiguous. In 1903 a linguistic puzzle
appeared in "The Royal Magazine" which asked readers to add
punctuation to a sentence to clarify its meaning:

[ref] 1903 January, The Royal Magazine, Volume 9, Number 51, Mr. X —
His Pages, Cryptic Sentences, Quote Page 299, Column 1, C. Arthur
Pearson Ltd., London, England. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=s3BEAQAAMAAJ&q=%22clever+catch%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Time flies you cannot they pass at such irregular intervals.
or:
Time flies; you cannot; they pass at such irregular intervals.
("Time," of course, being used in the sense of timing a race, and
"flies" being the well-known summer insects.)
[End excerpt]

The ambiguity of "time flies" discussed in 1903 prefigured the
discussion of syntax and semantics in the 1960s. A separate Quote
Investigator article about the puzzle above is available here.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2023/10/08/time-pass/

In 1930 "Boys' Life" magazine transformed the puzzle into a joke:

[ref] 1930 February, Boys' Life, Think and Grin, Edited by Francis J.
Rigney, Quote Page 48, Column 3, Published by Boy Scouts of America,
New York. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=CgQU09UDVaIC&q=%22Time+flies%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
SCOUTMASTER: Time flies.
SMART TENDERFOOT: You can't. They go too fast.
[End excerpt]

Feedback welcome
Garson