[Ads-l] Media request: Why are bank locations called branches?

Wed Oct 18 07:21:20 UTC 2023

A natural first step is to determine what the Oxford English
Dictionary has to say on the topic. The entry for "branch" mentions
the pertinent figurative sense with citations beginning in 1817.

[Begin excerpt from OED]
branch NOUN
II. Figurative applications suggested by the relation of a branch to the tree.

II.9. A local office of business, subordinate to the main or head
office, as the ‘branch’ of a bank or other establishment.

1817 This London Union Society..establishing branches and affiliations.
Petition in Parliamentary Debates 1st Series 215

1875 Important banks, each possessing numerous branches.
W. S. Jevons, Money (1878) 257
[End excerpt from OED]

Thomas Wycliffe published an essay in 1779 in which he proposed the
creation of a set of branches for a bank-like organization that would
be closely related to the government. Citizens would be able to
"safely lodge their wealth" in these branches.