[Ads-l] Media request: Why are bank locations called branches?

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 18 21:49:28 UTC 2023

Rind's Virginia Gazette, reprinting news from Glascow, 1869.

Report of a "new" banking company, "Douglas, Heron and Co.," with a novel printing system for more secure notes, also opening a "branch" in Edinburgh.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/rinds-virginia-gazette/133672493/
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2023 11:18:49 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Media request: Why are bank locations called branches?

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

Excellent find, Dan. Here are two slightly earlier matches in 1772 for
the phrases  "different branches of your Bank" and  "different
branches of that bank".

Periodical: The Scots Magazine
Issue Date: October 1772
Volume xxxiv
Match 1: Correspondence from Mentor, Quote Page 547
Match 2: Index, Unnumbered Page
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=3D490RAAAAYAAJ&q=3D%22branches+of+your%22=
#v=3Dsnippet&

[Begin excerpt from page 547 - double-check for typos]
To the Proprietors of the Banking Company in Scotland, under the firm
of Douglas Heron & Co

London, Sept. 10
At your next general meeting for the election of Directors to the
different branches of your Bank [307. art. 8.], you will see the great
loss that has been incurred by the late discredit your paper fell into
in London, and you will naturally inquire into the causes which
produced such discredit, and endeavour to remove the same, that the
effects may cease.
[End excerpt]

https://books.google.com/books?id=3D490RAAAAYAAJ&q=3D%22branches+of+that%22=
#v=3Dsnippet&

[Begin excerpt from unnumbered index - double-check for typos]
Extraordinary and ordinary directors chosen at the different branches
of that bank 636
[End excerpt]

Page 636 lists the different types of Directors:
Extraordinary Directors
Directors at Air
Directors at Edinburgh
Directors at Dumfries

So it seems that the branches primarily corresponded to different
geographical locales.

I checked the other uses of the phrase "branches of" occurring within
this volume to sample the variety of senses for "branches" that were
active in this time and place.

Page 003: branches of revenue
Page 083: branches of the interior Indian commerce
Page 300: branches of British commerce
Page 301: valuable branches of trade
Page 395: different branches of trade
Page 500: several branches of national defence
Page 509: branches of the legislature
Page 512: branches of the legislature
Page 547: branches of Your bank
Page 585: branches of useful knowledge
Page 717: branches of the legislature
Page 733: branches of that bank

Garson O'Toole

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 2:32=E2=80=AFPM Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com>=
 wrote:

> I note a reference to a branch of the Bank of Scotland from December 1775=
:

> In the beginning of November a branch of the 'bank of Scotland was
> eftablished at Air, fimilar to thofe formerly eftablifhed at Dumfries,
> Kelfo, Inverness, and Kilmarnock [340 ].
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Scots_Magazine/ut4RAAAAYAAJ?hl=
=3Den&gbpv=3D1&dq=3Dbank%20scotlandbranch&pg=3DPA691&printsec=3Dfrontcover&=
bksoutput=3Dtext