[Ads-l] sleeper agent, sleeper

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sat Oct 28 22:21:34 UTC 2023

Earlier, 'sleeping agent', not in OED:

1939  *The Oakland Post Enquirer* (Oakland, California) 2 Aug 12/4
(newspapers.com)  It isn’t likely that your next-door neighbor is one of
this army.
     But he might be.
     He might be a “sleeping agent,” one of a pledged host who do
nothing save go about their own business until secret orders come.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-oakland-post-enquirer-sleeping-agent/134239775/

1939  *Narandera Argus and Riverina Advertiser* (Narrandera, New South
Wales, Australia) 26 Sep 2/7-8 (newspapers.com)  Military intelligence
services classify spies under four categories. They are “stationary
agents,” “mobile agents,” “special agents” and “sleeping agents.”

https://www.newspapers.com/article/narandera-argus-and-riverina-advertiser/134241025/

1941  *Santa Ana Register* (Santa Ana, California) 24 Jul 7/3
(newspapers.com)  These agents, the speaker said, are to be found in all
walks of life. Some are called “sleeping” agents. They just rent a place
and apparently have no business, some are taxi drivers, university
professors, or ambassadors; and sometimes there are four or five agents
assigned to one job, so, if one fails, subsequent attempts will be more
sure to succeed.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-register-sleeping-agent-person/134239145/

--
James Eric Lawson