[Ads-l] "slay" (adj.)

Nancy Friedman wordworking at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 31 15:11:56 UTC 2023

>From the novelist Elif Batuman's Substack, reporting from the Columbia
campus:

>> ...I will just mention that last week one of them sent in a workshop
submission with a note wishing the class “a chill and slay weekend.” I
hadn’t encountered this use of “slay,” and was filled with admiration for
our evolving language. A few days later, another person sent a draft where
one character says, of a boy she has a crush on: “I want to slay
Albert”—and this further complicated my understanding of the meaning/s of
“slay” which I confidently expect to expand in weeks to come! <<

https://open.substack.com/pub/eliflife/p/another-day-another-slay

Nancy Friedman
Chief Wordworker
https://wordworking.com