[Ads-l] Ulster Scots, Scots-Irish, Scotch-Irish

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sat Sep 2 21:57:40 UTC 2023

Regarding 'Ulster Scots', the earliest use I find is in the work cited
by OEDO:

1640   None is soe dim-sighted but sees the gen’all inclination of the
Ulster Scots to the Covenant. G. Radcliffe, Letter 8 August in *Life &
Correspondence* (1810) 209.

*Oxford English Dictionary*, s.v. “Ulster Scot, n. & adj., Etymology”,
July 2023. <https://doi.org/10.1093/OED/2293158311>

In the work cited (1810 publication), the quoted text follows two
appearances of 'Scots in Ulster' (pp 207, 208), circumstances that
suggest the term was not fully lexicalized. Thus the 1640 work may
represent a (although probably not the) coining (*ab reductio*) of the
term. See

1640  Thomas Dunham Whitaker *The life and original correspondence of
Sir George Radcliffe, the friend of the Earl of Strafford* (HathiTrust)
None is soe dim-sighted but sees the gen’all inclination of the Ulster
Scots to the Covenant: and God forbid they should tarrie there till the
Earle of Argile brings them armies to cut our throats, to our apparent
disturbance, if not certayne ruyne.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=ien.35556009557950&seq=235&q1=Ulster

The next use I find is this:

1649  Ireland Lord Lieutenant Ormonde *The Marquesse of Ormond’s
declaration, proclaiming Charles the Second, King of England, Scotland,
France, and Ireland, &c.:  With his summons to Colonel Jones for the
surrender of Dublin, and the answer of Colonell Iones thereunto. Also a
perfect relation of their forces, and the present affairs of that
kingdom. Together with a true copie of the articles of agreement between
the said Marquesse, and the Irish. Also a representation of the province
of Vlster concerning the evills and dangers to religion, lawes and
liberties, arising from the present practices of the sectarian army in
England, &c. Imprimatur. G. Mabbot.* (EEBO TCP 2)  The Ulster Scots have
now declared, and that whole Province (as to your interest) is lost in a
moment.

http://name.umdl.umich.edu/A90182.0001.001

--
James Eric Lawson