[Ads-l] "...would you hold it against me?"

Thu Sep 7 05:38:38 UTC 2023

Interesting topic, Ben. An instance of the same wordplay appeared in
an Australian newspaper in 1938, but the punchline was delivered by
the woman instead of the man.

Date: February 07, 1938
Newspaper: The Daily Telegraph
Newspaper Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Supplement: Daily Telegraph Home Magazine
Article: (Single-Panel Comic)
Author: George Little
Quote Page 16, Column 5
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-daily-telegraph-hold-it-against-you/131371231/

[Begin excerpt]
"What would you do if I criticised your figure?"
"Oh, I wouldn't hold it against you."
[End excerpt]

In 1941 the English comedian Max Miller published the joke in a London
newspaper.