[Ads-l] Antedating of Launder (Money)

Fri Sep 8 09:34:16 UTC 2023

Excellent work, John. Here is another incremental improvement.

[ref] 1969 May 13, The Sun, Cooperation of Swiss Sought, Unnumbered
Editorial Page, Column 1, San Bernardino, California. (Newspapers_com)
[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
This tainted money comes back to the mobsters "laundered" — sometimes
as a "loan" from the depositor's own secret account or from a "Swiss
trust" set up by the racketeer. The "laundered" money is then invested
in real estate or legitimate businesses.
[End excerpt]

The OED has an entry for the noun "money launderer" with a first
citation in 1979. Below is an instance in 1976. The term "money
launderer" appeared as the title of a section within an article.

[ref] 1976 November 19, The Courier-Express, Probers Seeking Syndicate
Links In Teamster Pension Stakeout by Victor Reisel, Quote Page 4,
Column 3, Dubois, Pennsylvania. (Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
MONEY LAUNDERER
According to Vinnie Teresa, Patriarca said that “Al Malnik was an
employe of Meyer Lansky and the purpose of his association with Meyer
Lansky was that Al Malnik would convert illegal cash by laundering it
in various real estate ventures.”
[End excerpt]

Garson