[Ads-l] Slight Antedating of "Michigander"

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Tue Sep 12 04:40:20 UTC 2023

In ADS-L 2000-July, both Barry Popik

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2000-July/007670.html

and Jesse Sheidlower

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2000-July/007689.html

mention an 1835 example of 'Michigander'. After some thrashing around
(which *Dictionary of Americanisms*, exactly?), I found the 1835 example
in (editor) Mitford M. Mathews' 1956 *A dictionary of Americanisms on
historical principles*:

**1835** in *Hist. Soc. N.W. Ohio* VII. (1935) 29 Aug. 3 Horner was not
acceptable to the Michiganders and acting Governor Mason continued in
office.

https://archive.org/details/dictionaryofamer00math/page/1051/mode/1up?q=Michigander

I suppose this didn't make it into OEDO (promised by Jesse) because the
July 1935 historical society publication (see page 3, "August 29"),

https://mail.toledosattic.org/images/pdfs/nwoq-by-issue/NWOQ_1935_Vol7-3.pdf

is an edited recounting of an 1858 article.

On 9/11/23 16:07, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> Michigander (OED 1838 [14 Nov.])
>
> 1838 _Bangor Daily Whig and Courier_ 18 Oct. (Newspapers.com)
>
> I came, as I told you, the last thirty miles to Detroit by rail road.  This is part of one which the Michiganders are making across to St. Joseph's.
>
> Fred Shapiro

James Eric Lawson