[Ads-l] Quote: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. Request help accessing Harvard Alumni Bulletin in 1963

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 24 16:20:33 UTC 2023

Further snippet-view investigations suggest the heading (or at least
subheading) for the relevant article is "Grammar by Computer."

If the Harvard Alumni Bulletin article is correctly dated as Nov. 23, 1963,
then this article appeared a week later:

---
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3946569
"Harvard Computer Finds English Language Fuzzy"
_The Science News-Letter_, Vol. 84, No. 22 (Nov. 30, 1963), p. 346
But whereas human understanding interprets a sentence like "Time flies like
an arrow," in only one way, the machine is more broad-minded. Among its
interpretations would be, "Determine the speed of flies as quickly as you
can," and "A species of fly, called time flies, enjoy an arrow."
---

("Fruit flies like a banana" is not given in that version.)

Anthony Oettinger made a presentation earlier in Nov. 1963 from which the
"time flies" example may have been taken, but it doesn't appear in the
published version of that presentation.

---
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/1463822.1463864
Anthony G. Oettinger, "Syntactic Structure and Ambiguity of English."
AFIPS '63 (Fall): Proceedings of the November 12-14, 1963, Fall Joint
Computer Conference, pp. 397–418
---

--bgz