[Ads-l] Quote: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. Request help accessing Harvard Alumni Bulletin in 1963

Sun Sep 24 19:47:29 UTC 2023

Thanks for the responses from Ben, Dave, and David.
Looking forward to seeing what Dave discovers.
Excellent sleuthing, Ben. I agree that the date in the Harvard Alumni
Bulletin is probably November 23, 1963 based on GB target page number
205. Here is some data from snippets:

Page 009  Vol 66, No 1, Sep 28, 1963
Page 057  Vol 66, No 2, Oct 12, 1963
Page 105  Vol 66, No 3, Oct 26, 1963
Page 153  Vol 66, No 4, Nov 09, 1963
Page 201  Vol 66, No 5, Nov 23, 1963
Page 249  Vol 66, No 6, Dec 07, 1963
Page 297  Vol 66, No 7, Jan 11, 1964
. . . Page 681  Vol 66, No 16, Jun 16, 1964

A search for volume numbers suggest that the GB volume only contains
Volume 66. Importantly, page numbers seem to be associated with unique
pages within the GB volume.

The earliest attribution to Groucho I have found appeared in a Usenet
message from 1989. There are earlier Usenet messages that do not
mention Groucho. Groucho died in 1977.

[ref] Usenet discussion message, Timestamp: Aug 3, 1989, 5:16:23 PM,
Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac, From: Brian Moore, Subject: Introductory C
Books. (Google Groups Search; Accessed Sept 23, 2023) link [/ref]

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.mac/c/Nbm6xeM9IVI/m/Q3OFM0TVrm4J

[Begin excerpt]
* +++++ +++++ +++++ +++++ * *
* + + + + * "Time flies like an arrow, *
* + + +++ +++ * fruit flies like a banana." *
* + + + + * ---- Groucho Marx *
S. Berson, Damien Hall, Fred Shapiro, Victor Steinbok, Seán
Fitzpatrick, David A. Daniel, Laurence Horn, and Margaret Lee. Sadly,
some are no longer with us.

At that time I also came across the Nov. 30, 1963 article in “The
Science News-Letter”, but I omitted it from the QI article because it
did not include the “fruit flies” example (as Ben notes). However, I
will mention it in the revised article.

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2010-June/099773.html

Garson