[Ads-l] ringshout

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Feb 7 13:27:00 UTC 2024

I just listened to an excellent episode of the Afropop podcast about the
African-American Georgia ringshout and the LA Easter Rock.

https://afropop.org/audio-programs/the-ring-and-the-shout

The etymology is given at the 34:30 mark, citing Lorenzo Dowd Turner.

In it there's an etymology cited for "shout" here, which refers to the
sliding step not the vocalizing. The etymology cited derives it from an
Arabic word referring to the spiraling walk done around the Kabah(sp?)
in Mecca. And that's also what the "rock" refers to in Easter Rock. And
there's a group, the Mackintosh County Shouters, that performs this, and
so, again "Shouter" has that reference to the step.

Folklorists think that elements derive from Congo traditions.

I don't have access to OED Online, so I don't know if this is already in it.

---Amy West