[Ads-l] Clinical depression 1920

Tue Feb 20 08:59:26 UTC 2024

Excellent work, Victor and Steven.
However, I wonder whether the term "depression" in these early
citations might refer to the depression of blood pressure, i.e., the
reduction of blood pressure. Also, "depression" might refer to
"cardiac depression" - whatever that is.

The text below is from different articles in the same volume
containing the citation posted by Steven Losie. The cites suggest
alternative interpretations for "depression".

Date: June 17, 1911
Periodical: The Medical Record
Quote Page 1113

[Begin excerpt]
The extract should be of use in peritonitis, in which condition we
have a toxic depression of blood pressure.
[End excerpt]

Date: February 11, 1911
Periodical: The Medical Record
Quote Page 280

[Begin excerpt]
Therapeutic indications: As a general tonic or bitter; in indigestion,
cardiac depression, impaired peristalsis, pneumonia, phthisis,
amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, impotence, some forms of paralysis, . . .
[End excerpt]

Garson