[Ads-l] antedating schnook

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 17 04:15:43 UTC 2024

For the uninitiated, there is in fact no etymological relation between “Chinook” (a variety of salmon named for the indigenous people once living along the Columbia River) and “schnook” (apparently from the Yiddish “shnuk”, an elephant’s trunk, whence(?) a sucker or dupe).  A phonological connection, yes, but semantic, not so much.

LH