[Ads-l] "grow" as noun

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 31 02:17:30 UTC 2024

OED doesn't have this sense of "grow" yet, but it does have "grow
operation" ("a marijuana-growing enterprise or facility") from 1986, and
"grow-op" from 1997. I'd guess bare "grow" is a further clipping of this.

Here's an antedating for "grow operation."

---
https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-bellingham-herald-grow-operation/139931628/
Bellingham (Wash.) Herald, Apr. 12, 1984, p. B1, col. 4
Three men were arrested Wednesday in Sudden Valley in connection with a
marijuana growing operation. ...  Sandell said after the deputies entered
the residence it "became real apparent there was a grow operation."
---

--bgz