[Ads-l] Tea, and more

Daphne Preston-Kendal dpk at NONCEWORD.ORG
Wed Jul 3 11:20:46 UTC 2024

On 2 Jul 2024, at 15:59, Bill Mullins <amcombill at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Should have checked the OED first.  They have:
>
> 1972 B. Rodgers Queens' Vernacular 178 Serve [some] tea, to group together outside a restroom or bar to gossip; to gab everyone else's tricks out the door.

Where do you see this? I don’t see it under ‘tea’, and the quotation search (quotation author ‘Rodgers’ AND quotation text ‘tea’) yields nothing.

Note also on the previous page (p. 177):
scandal soup (camp) tea as a gossip’s refreshment.

Also p. 194 (under the entry GDoS catches only for the alleged ‘tea’ = urine):
have some tea: engage in small talk

Daphne