[Ads-l] wisecrack, 1905/6

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 8 19:27:06 UTC 2024

1907 _Butte Evening News_ (July 15) 3 (Newspapers.com): Lyrics of a
Yeggman...I guess I know when skies are blue....I guess I crack as wise as
you.

1907 _Sioux City Journal_ (Sept. 10)  9 (Newspapers.com): Ignorant Ones
"Crack Wise."

Bonus diversion:

1908 _Tacoma Daily Ledger_ (July 13) 10 (Newspapers.com): GOLDIE WHEELER,
GIRL DETECTIVE ... Here was a girl 16 years old who was "cracking wise"
beyond her years....[S]he...can "crack" back as fast and correctly in the
slang of thieves and detectives as the best trained in those classes.

Lots more in HDAS I.

JL