[Ads-l] "Peckerhead" (antedating, 1932-1938)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 8 19:41:53 UTC 2024

1949 V.O. Key _Southern Politics in State and Nation_ (N. Y.: Knopf) 231:
The [Mississippi] “redneck,” “peckerwood,” or “peckerhead” inhabits another
world. His “hills” — the highest altitude is around 700 feet — run from the
northern end of the state and occupy roughly its eastern half, broadening
out almost to the River in the south and petering out in the pine forests
of the coastal region.

HDAS III would have had a bunch of these. I discern two overlapping
meanings: 1. fool. 2. "redneck."  1 is from "pecker," 2 is from
"peckerwood," prob. infl. by "pecker."

I doubt that TIME would have printed the word in 1955 if the editors had
been familiar with the (secondary?) "dickhead" sense.

JL