[Ads-l] dad joke

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 9 17:47:15 UTC 2024

I like that “as red meat a dad movie as” construction too.  Usually “as X a Y as” involves true adjectives in the position of X, whereas “red meat” is a nominal within the compound “red meat (dad) movie”. The key is that it can be interpreted as a scalar moodier as in “How red meat was that movie?” That seems borderline possible for me, but I note that there are zero google hits for “How red meat is that” or “That’s so red meat”.  (Tricky to search for sequences like “really red meat” without getting the irrelevant literal examples.)

LH