[Ads-l] Follow-up about Aldous Huxley quotation and collector's edition of Erewhon; Also, Ben Franklin quote

Thu Jul 11 01:09:38 UTC 2024

On July 5, 2024 I requested help verifying a quotation ascribed to
Aldous Huxley. List member Dave Wilton kindly volunteered to help. He
successfully accessed and checked the 1934 edition of Erewhon in the
Firestone Library at Princeton. The introduction containing the
quotation by Huxley was dated July 24, 1933.

In my original message I incorrectly mentioned Easton Press, but the
1934 edition was issued by the Limited Editions Club. A later edition
from the 1980s was issued by Easton Press.

Here is a link to the updated article which acknowledges Dave.

Quote Origin: Promise People That They Will Have a Chance of Maltreating Someone
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2024/07/01/clear-maltreat/

Also, thanks to Grant Barrett who sent me off-list some excellent
citations exploring the history of the saying about secrets attributed
to Benjamin Franklin.

Garson