[Ads-l] Antedating of "Too cool for school"

Sun Jun 23 17:25:18 UTC 2024

Great citation, Steven. Here is an incremental update. The Dorothy
Kilgallen column appeared one day earlier.

Date: September 19, 1951
Newspaper: New Orleans States
Newspaper Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Article: The Broadway Bulletin Board
Author: Dorothy Kilgallen
Quote Page 19, Column 3 and 4
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin quote]
Lionel Hampton turned down a chance to lecture at a West coast
university on the lexicon of jazz. He told profs he couldn't figure
out how to define the language of the hipsters without employing other
unintelligible terms. (If you're hip, you're just too cool for
school!)
[End quote]

Was Kilgallen using wordplay to reference an expression that was
already in circulation? Did she create the expression? I do not know.

Garson