[Ads-l] Juke Joint (1937), Jook (1930), Jake Joint (1919) and Juice Joint (1911).

Z S zrice3714 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 24 20:37:51 UTC 2024

"These theories ring untrue to me, if only for the fact that the people
using and naming those joints may not necessarily have seen them as wicked,
disorderly or unsavory."

Regarding the above quote from Reitan, researching and asking the relevant
ethnic group how these places were perceived by them and their ancestors
would offer the greatest insight into whether they perceived such places as
wicked, disorderly or unsavory.

In a recording of "Uncle Bud", Zora Neale Hurston makes it clear that a *jook
woman* is indeed perceived as a woman of ill repute and is not considered
"respectable".

Halpert: "is it sung for the respectable ladies?"
Hurston: "Never! It's one of those jook songs! And the woman that they
singing Uncle Bud in front of is a* jook woman*!"
Source:  "Uncle Bud" by Zora Neale Hurston, via Library of Congress
https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000012/

Moreover, I can state outright that a place in which bawdy songs are
traded, cards are played, drinks are served, and folks engage in gambling
and the secular - at that time - would indeed be perceived as a place of
ill repute (if not outright forbidden) by many or most great-grands (and
even grands) among Native Black Americans.

Zola S.