[Ads-l] spaghettify

Mon Mar 18 21:47:33 UTC 2024

Jonathan Lighter wrote
"Scientists find black hole spaghettifying star remarkably close to earth"

The Oxford English Dictionary does not have an entry for
"spaghettification" or "spaghettify".

Dictionary.com has an entry for "spaghettification". Dictionary.com is
based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary.

[Begin excerpt]
Spaghettification noun Physics, Astronomy.
the theoretical stretching of an object as it encounters extreme
differences in gravitational forces, especially those associated with
a black hole.
[End excerpt]

Collins Dictionary has an entry "spaghettification".
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/spaghettification

Wikipedia has an entry for "spaghettification".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghettification

The earliest citation mentioned in the Wikipedia article was written
by science journalist Nigel Calder.

Year: 1977
Book Title: The Key To the Universe: A Report On the New Physics
Author: Nigel Calder
Quote Page 143
Publisher: Viking Press, New York

[Begin excerpt]
Before being trapped and crushed, the unwary astronaut would first be
stretched into spaghetti.

The first hint of trouble might be his hair standing on end, his feet
and hands feeling heavy, his head light. The astronaut's blood would
drain into his limbs, bringing merciful unconsciousness before gravity
rendered his body into meat, into molecules, into atoms, and
eventually into a long beam of particles hurtling into the black hole.

Spaghettification was due to gravity intensifying, metre by metre, in
the approach to a black hole. It was a tidal effect, an extreme
version of the process by which the Moon would pull more strongly on
sea-water immediately beneath it than on the oceans to the far side of
the Earth.
[End excerpt]

The word "spaghettification" appeared in a gruesome and absurdist
passage of an English translation of the play "Ubu Cocu" by French
symbolist Alfred Jarry published in 1965. Black holes were not
mentioned.

Year: 1965 Copyright
Book Title: Selected Works of Alfred Jarry
Editors: Roger Shattuck & Simon Watson Taylor
Drama: Ubu Cocu
Speaker: Pa Ubu
Quote Page 50
Publisher: Grove Press, New York

[Begin excerpt]
There's nothing to be done with him. We’ll have to make do with
twisting the nose and nears, with removal of the tongue and extraction
of the teeth, laceration of the posterior, hacking to pieces of the
spinal marrow and the partial or total spaghettification of the brain
through the heels. He shall first be impaled, then beheaded, then
finally drawn and quartered.
[End excerpt]

Garson