[Ads-l] s--

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 21 20:52:55 UTC 2024

The "seggs" phenomenon has been dubbed "algospeak," and you can read a
scholarly treatment of the phenomenon in this paper by Kendra Calhoun and
Alexia Fawcett:

https://www.languageatinternet.org/articles/2023/calhoun

Kendra and Alexia are also contributing as co-authors on the next
installment of "Among the New Words," which is all about algospeak. (This
is for AmSp 99.1, soon to be hitting your screens and mailboxes.)

As for the "s--" expurgation, Yahoo News aggregated that story from an
outlet called The Blast (https://theblast.com/). Skimming articles on the
site, I'm seeing typical four-letter avoidance like "s--t" and "f--k,"
e.g.:

https://theblast.com/187637/netflix-the-power-of-the-dog-sam-elliott-blasts-film-benedict-cumberbatch/

But I'm not seeing "s--" for "sex," so that may be some new wrinkle from
the aggregators at Yahoo News motivated by algorithmic considerations.

--Ben