[Ads-l] Origins of "Bulldyke" and Related Terms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 27 19:59:43 UTC 2024

I remember being impressed (but not convinced) by the feminist poet Judy Grahn’s imaginative derivation of “bulldyke(r)” from “Boadicea”, the 1st c. CE British queen, a "national heroine and a symbol of the struggle for justice and independence” against the Romans.

This is a helpful posting on the topic from a couple of decades ago by Jim Landau, who also considers a second etymythology on which “bulldyke” < “bulldog-like":

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2002-August/024646.html <https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2002-August/024646.html>

(I wonder about the description below of “lesbian lovers” as “known *euphemistically* as ‘bulldykers’”.  With euphemisms like that, who needs dysphemisms?)

LH